Monday, January 14, 2008

Alert! Cavs Machine/Software users. Important!



Folks, you may recall a long article about restoring an old CAVS JB-99 system. I've also had the opportunity to see the insides of a JB_199. Wasn't terribly impressed to be honest: Its a generic PC in a fancy case. (And an extremely high price given the software is nearly identical to the JB-99 with the same serious limitations. Worse yet, this software requires the Optical devices used to read CD+G disks to NATIVELY support the CD+G format. For awhile CAVS has been telling people the Plextor series is ideal for their software. I received a call from a karaoke MC asking what they should use to replace their dying Plextor CD-RW device (over 10 years old I think). Well, after referring to Plextor Technical and calling Plextor to confirm, Plextor no longer manufacturers ANY optical devices that support CD+G on a native level! The last Plextor device, the 760A, ceased being manufactured some months ago and Plextor has no plans on creating another device that will support CD+G. LG Optical devices are ALL useless for this as well. The good news is there appears to still be some possiblities.

Asus gave me a list of models that support CD+G (and kudos to Asus for being the FIRST to reply to my inquiry in very detailed form):

DVD-E616A3 and 2014L1T

Asus recommends these units for supporting CD+G format and I actually received Nero Info Tool Images to prove it! Bravo Asus. I'll be testing one of these for SURE with the CAVS software.

Lite-On indicated to me that all their Optical drives supported CD+G natively so I'll test their latest drive as well.

The final report on these two drives and any other the big Optical Manufacturers may give me (Sony and Samsung have yet to send me ANY reply and I'll check with Teac and Mitsumi for any recommendations from them as well) will be given in around 2 weeks when I'm able to hook up with the Karaoke MC who present me this little challenge in the first place. To anyone whose original CD+G drive is dying (and on the CAVS forum people are asking this question to which CAVS has yet to give an answer). To those still waiting for an answer to this important question for CAVS users, link your RSS readers to this site for immediate answer when its published. As to CAVS: wake up! Update your software or risk losing your clients. there are other solutions out there that have no dependencies on optical drives as AudioGrabber (a wonderful tool) has proven. Cheers

PS: Through my consulting business (which give me allows me full access to all the hardware I posting on this blog direct from distributors in case anyone is shopping) I'll soon be posting recommendations on the best laptop for karaoke use (assuming proper disks and/or licenses are obtained). I'm also creating my own media center (linux based) that will fully support Karaoke, as well as every other entertainment function I can pack into it. You can check my new blog, The Linux Experience, for details on that when I'm finished (Have had little time for that until recently).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home